XML has been a top buzz word in publishing for quite some time. However, it is not always clear how best to apply XML to an existing workflow or redesign for a complete XML 1st workflow system. This consultative service pairs a publishing house with one of our senior analysts. Our approach mirrors that of physical navigation by knowing/understanding:
- Where you are starting (current workflow),
- Where you want to be (efficiencies realized from new, XML workflow),
- The tools to get from here to there (of which there are many), and
- Having a plan to do so.
The engagement can be split into two phases, either of which can be executed first or both may be run in parallel:
Phase I: Workflow and Tools
Analysis: What the team is currently doing from manuscript acquisition to Print PDF, eProduct and Website production. Responsible client stakeholders are interviewed for current process understanding, identified areas of challenge, and expectations/desires for improvement.
- Documentation of current workflow (delivered in Visio object files and PDF)
- Discussion of XML 1st application to improve same (delivered in Microsoft Word and PDF with associated, modified workflow diagram (Visio and PDF)
- Recommendation on tools that are consistent with publisher direction (Word and PDF)
- Outline of change management/requirements (Microsoft Excel or Word and PDF)
Duration: 4-6 weeks depending on client team availability
Client Team Time:
- Executives/managers: approximately 2-4 hours over the Duration
- Team members who are actively engaged in the day-to-day process: approximately 16-20 hours total over the Duration
High Level Project Plan: 1 day on-site kickoff, weekly or semi-weekly 1-1.5 hour meetings for Duration, concluding with 2-3 hr, online presentation of results
Phase II: Specific Content Impact and Needs
Analysis: Review simple, moderate and complex content being created by the work team.
- Identification of specific publisher elements and styling that drive XML elements (Microsoft Word and PDF)
- Recommendation of publisher XML for editorial/production and distribution needs (Microsoft Word and PDF)
Duration: 2-3 weeks depending on client team availability.
Client Team Time: 8-10 hours during duration with consultant. Add time to identify simple, moderate and complex examples of their content and deliver to VisualMl.
Project Plan: Phase I is requisite. This extends the weekly meetings on the same schedule.
Both or either of Phase I or Phase II may be ordered for a work team. Both Phases are done at a fixed price. The process is applied for each editorial/production team that the publisher has. For example if there is a team for books separate from journals, or multiple book imprints that operate independently, then each is analyzed independently. In this scenario, we prefer to discuss how those teams are separate and where, if at all, their processes combine. Based on that, we quote an added percentage for each additional work team process that is being analyzed. We strive to keep costs and expenses reasonable and are happy to perform back-to-back kickoffs with the separate teams on consecutive days to minimize expense.